Sunday, October 12, 2008

Down on the Farm

Yesterday I met up with LeeAnne, Bobby, and Maggie to go to Down on the Farm for the day. What a blast! Darrin wasn't feeling well, so he stayed home, unfortunately, but he would have been miserable had he gone. We got a later start than we had first anticipated, so when we arrived we had lunch then hit all the fun activities. While we finished lunch Joshua got tired of sitting in my lap. He wanted to walk all over the place! The poor kid took a few tumbles, but he did a first: he stood up in mid-air without pulling up on something! I've noticed over the last week or so that he has been squatting down to pick up something off the floor and then standing right back up again, so he's continuing to improve all the time.

After lunch while Joshua walked all over the place Rebekah and Maggie rode on the seesaw together.



See Joshua in the background?



The kids discovered the corn pit and had so much fun! The shoes came off pretty quickly once the corn was getting in their shoes. Joshua wasn't too crazy about the corn pit itself, but he enjoyed climbing the steps along the side that leads to the top of the slide.



The girls climbed up on top of this big pile of hay. I hoped to get some better pics, but I had to keep an eye on Joshua too. He kept walking around this hill that was formed over a tree's roots. Every time he'd turn around to walk down he'd fall and face-plant into the ground. Poor little guy! He just wanted a big challenge!


LeeAnne captured this one.


To keep Joshua from heading back over to that same tree I finally took him to another area that was enclosed with hay so that he could walk around safely.


Both the kids loved this slide. I even took Joshua down it with me a couple times, but I kept landing on my bum.



While Rebekah played some more on the playground Joshua discovered a threshold to the petting barn with a step up. He did another first for him: he took a step up without holding on to anything! I was amazed! He started to lose his balance but then caught himself and regained ground. He never grabbed the door frame until his feet were balanced well. I guess all those challenges were paying off!

Next we did the cow train. At first I put Joshua in by himself, but one of the workers there told me I could ride with Joshua since he was so little. I'm so glad she did! It was a very bumpy ride! My rear was a bit sore by the time we returned. There is no way Joshua would have enjoyed it by himself. I had actually first hoped to put the kids side-by-side, but Joshua would have been hurt either way with those sharp edges around the sides. Joshua still wasn't crazy about the ride, but Rebekah enjoyed it.




Next we went on a hay ride to go pick out our pumpkins. The girls had so much fun! Joshua got really wiggly. He was so tired! It was already way past his naptime.



Joshua even went to Bobby for a brief cuddle.


Once we returned from our hay ride the girls discovered this.



Rebekah and Maggie painted their pumpkins they had chosen while I took Joshua to the car to rest. I was afraid he would go to sleep in my arms and wake up when I put him in the car like he had done at Lake Winnie, so I took him on to the car while the girls painted their pumpkins and took one last ride on the cow train.

LeeAnne was gracious enough to take some pics of Rebekah painting and both Rebekah and Maggie riding the cow train together since I had to stay back with Joshua.

My tired little girl painting her pumpkin.


The girls ride the cow train together. Rebekah said that this was her favorite thing she did all day - riding the cow train with Maggie.


What a fun day it was! I just wish Darrin could have enjoyed it with us. This will definitely be an annual fall event for us!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Candy said...

What a fun day! It looks like a great place to go with the little ones.