Monday, March 10, 2008

No more pacis

When Rebekah was born she was a major sucker. She had to have something to suck, whether it be someone's finger, a pacifier, or me. Out of desperation we started her on the paci to help soothe her when she was 2 weeks old. Now, it didn't always stay in her mouth, but she quickly learned to take it and was addicted for nearly 3 years. At least around age 1 1/2 we had it down to naps and bedtime only, but we still had setbacks where she wanted to suck on it during the day. She still will try to put Joshua's pacifiers in her mouth just to play, but it's not something she needs anymore. Don't you know, we were so glad when her pacis disappeared sometime in the night over a couple nights! She weaned much more easily than I would have imagined, though.

Joshua, on the other hand, has taken his pacifier at times, but I pushed it more to help his reflux when he was very little. These days, though, he could care less about the thing. He will oftentimes spit it out onto the floor after a couple minutes, but that is the max he will suck. Usually it's out of his mouth as soon as it's in. He will grab it and throw it into the air, onto the floor, and most recently, he pushed it into my face. I usually try to give it to him to break his latch when nursing before bed or naps, but he takes it out and latches right back on. It's as if to say, "Mom! Don't give me anything artificial. I want the real thing!" Boy, is he addicted to nursing, though! Rebekah weaned from breastfeeding at 14 months, but Joshua still nurses quite a bit. He nurses before every meal, before naps and bedtime, and sometimes he'll have a mid-morning snack. I don't mind, though. This is most likely our last baby, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Plus, I'm enjoying the bonding with my boy.

1 comment:

Candy said...

Yeah for no pacis! The places that you will find them 6 months from now will amaze you! hehehe