Darrin and I finally got our first date night in months last night. Seriously, we had wanted to do something around Valentine's and didn't get to, and this was our first chance to get out. Of course, then my mom got sick, and we had to scramble to find a sitter. We finally found one at the very last minute. Literally, it was confirmed around 4:00 and she arrived our home an hour later.
Rebekah was mute the whole first 10 minutes upon Hannah's arrival, but once she opened up she was non-stop talking. She also was not crazy about having a strange babysitter keeping her, but she got over that pretty quickly as well. Joshua also had just awaken from his nap at this time, and he wanted to have nothing to do with this strange teenager in our home. He kept turning his head away from her when he saw her. It was rather humorous. And although he cried a little when we left he was warming up to her a couple minutes later. I called around 7:00 to see how things were going. Hannah answered the phone out of breath. I thought, "What in the world?" She told me they were playing "tickle monster", and I could hear Joshua fussing over the phone like he wanted Hannah to get off the phone and play with him.
We had a really nice dinner at Red Lobster and then we went to the Chattanooga Symphony for its 75th anniversary to hear selections by Leonard Bernstein, from Our Town, Westside Story, Mass, and Candide. Special guests were a tenor and a soprano, both of whom were just excellent. I really liked him for the broadway type songs and her for the more operatic pieces, but they were both very good. She sang "Glitter and Be Gay" from Candide, a song I sang while taking voice after I had graduated college. It is probably THE hardest song I've ever sung and goes to the very top of my range. This song could easily be compared to the famous aria sung by the Queen of the Night in The Magic Flute.
Darrin even enjoyed the concert, but his favorite selections were the instrumental pieces. The concert ended with the symphonic dances from Westside Story. What a great concert!
It was so nice to get away for a date night last night, and it was wonderful to hear some great music. It's something I truly love, and I want to get back into making time for these regularly again.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Music of the Night
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I'm glad you had a fun night out!
Got to love those date nights! Glad you guys had a good evening!
Post a Comment