As we continued our Easter unit with The Parable of the Lily we focused on the Easter lily today. I had purchased a plant to go along with today's lesson so that Rebekah not only could see the flower itself but that she could also experience it and learn the flower parts since the lily is such a great flower for this exercise.
We started our lesson with our regular daily devotions, and while flipping to today's devotional we came across one about flowers and nature in general. We decided to do it in addition to today's devotional since it tied in so well with our lesson for today. Following a reading of The Parable of the Lily Rebekah counted all the flowers in the story. She then played a game of Memory with some matching flower cards I printed, cut, and glued to construction paper. Each card had a picture of a flower with the name underneath, so we were able to identify the flowers before and as she played the game.
We then took time to observe our Easter lilies closely and learn some of the parts of the flower. Although I mentioned a number of parts and Rebekah repeated them, also asking about other parts, we reviewed the most familiar parts throughout the lesson - petals and stem, as well as leaves. Next Rebekah drew a lily for her lapbook.
Next we discussed a couple of Bible verses using the word lily, and I explained what they meant, and I told her that Jesus was called the "Lily of the Valley". After this we worked together to make an acrostic for LILY. This was even difficult for me! We decided on: Lovely, Interesting, Leaves, and Yellow (because some lilies are yellow). I cut out small copies of various types of lilies and Rebekah glued them in the appropriate place of her "Types of Lilies" booklet for her lapbook. We finished with a craft making a bouquet of lilies using cutouts of Rebekah's hands. Although this was more work for me since I had to cut out, roll up, curl and tape/staple the flowers this was Rebekah's favorite part of the lesson. She walked around proudly with her bouquet for the rest of the afternoon.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Lily Learning
Labels:
crafts,
Easter,
holidays,
homeschooling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment