Friday, April 3, 2009

Easter Egg Fun

Since we didn't get to homeschool yesterday we condensed yesterday's and today's lesson plans into one day. I had originally planned to read Benjamin's Box with the Resurrection Eggs again, but I dropped it in order to do some other activities. We also didn't start homeschooling until 2:00. Rebekah was rather irritable this morning, I think just because yesterday was such a long day. Once I got Joshua down for a nap we were able to get a lot accomplished in three hours.

We began by reviewing the entire story of Easter from Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday. In her Easter Celebrations page for her lapbook Rebekah was supposed to dictate what happened on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but I had her draw a picture for each day instead. I felt like she would retain it better this way, and it involved her putting her own creativity into it instead of me writing what she said. So I just had her verbalize it first then draw the pictures.

We then read The Legend of the Easter Egg and discussed the times in which different things happened in the book. I was going to forego doing the clock activities, but Rebekah wanted to try them, so we did. I figured this would give her a bit of an introduction to telling time. Next we reviewed the symbolism of the Easter egg and Rebekah colored her cover page (Easter basket with eggs) for her lapbook.

Then the real fun began...dying Easter eggs! We had five colors and twelve eggs, so we mixed some colors to see what they would create. We ended up with several shades of green before it was all over.





Rebekah decorated her eggs with stickers once they dried and then she did a sequencing page on dying eggs.





We then made a poem accordion page about dying Easter eggs and put her lapbook together.












By the time we finished it was dinner time. Rebekah asked for eggs and toast for supper. How appropriate!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

LeeAnne said...

Looks like fun! We're dying Easter eggs today.