Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Learning About Easter

Today we studied the significance of Easter, all the while reviewing what we had learned the previous two days about the Passover and crucifixion. I read in Rebekah's Bible story book about the resurrection, and we discussed what days of the week everything had taken place. I explained the significance and symbolism of the Easter egg. It was a little difficult for Rebekah to grasp the symbolism of it all. She has struggled some about the bread representing Jesus' body and the wine His blood. In the same way, she struggled with the chick breaking out of the egg representing Jesus breaking out of the tomb, so I gave her a hands-on experience using an Easter egg. I didn't have a chick on hand, so I put a nickel in the egg. I opened the egg and pulled out the nickel to explain that Jesus broke out of the tomb. She seemed to grasp it much better this way.

After lunch we made Resurrection Rolls for our dessert/snack/craft while I read Matthew 27:57-61; 28:5-8. Here is Rebekah pouring melted butter over her crescent covered marshmallow. Yummy!


We then read through The Legend of the Easter Egg followed by reviewing her Bible verse for the week and finishing off with some coloring pages, one of which was a hunt for Easter eggs to color and the other was a coloring page that goes with the Bible story.

And just for fun and totally unrelated, here's a picture I took of Rebekah because I thought she looked like a flower child.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Candy said...

Alicia, I love all you have been doing with Rebekah and homeschooling! You are doing so many great lessons and building a wonderful love for learning and the Lord along the way!