Last weekend Darrin and I went to Family Life's marriage conference, "A Weekend to Remember". It comes to town every year, but this is the first time we've been able to attend. It was really wonderful! To make the most of the conference my parents stayed at our house to keep the kids while Darrin and I stayed at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo where the conference was held.
The material that we learned was really good, although much of it we learned in our Sunday school class when we were in the newlywed class, yet it was new too because we got a different spin on the material from the speakers. We were also given a number of opportunities to apply it to our marriage and to discuss it with our spouse throughout the day and evening. We were able to pinpoint some specific things that are weak as well as strong in our relationship and discuss what we are committed to do improve those weak areas. We spent time in prayer as a couple as well as making commitments to one another. Saturday evening we were given an opportunity to go on a date and to just enjoy each other. By the end of the weekend we felt refreshed and rejuvenated, and we came home with lots of reading material to help us better our marriage and our parenting.
Since then life has returned back to normal, but the things we learned at the conference and the time away really helped. I have been more patient with Rebekah this week, and I've been away from the computer more to go to bed earlier and take more time with Darrin before he conks out for the night. I've been getting more sleep too, which helps me throughout the day.
If you are married, or engaged and get an opportunity to attend this marriage conference I highly recommend it! It is a Christian conference, and Scripture is mentioned, but they don't push the Bible on you. We laughed, we cried, and we had a great time. The same conference is offered every year, but since different speakers teach each year the spin is different, and from what I hear you get something new each time you attend. They also have sessions just for those who are engaged because preparing for the marriage is just as important as once you've made your wedding vows. And if you're from Chattanooga and haven't had a chance to attend this great marriage conference you will have another opportunity next November. I highly recommend it!
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Weekend to Remember
Labels:
marriage,
marriage conference
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment