Monday, January 26, 2009

A Proud Mommy Moment

As a mom who is trying to teach my children to do the right thing because it pleases the Lord I never know how much is sinking into their little brains and how much they are understanding and retaining. With Joshua it's more of just correcting behavior, but with Rebekah I'm really trying to get to her heart. I know she is picking up some things because she will repeat them in discussions, but actions do really speak louder than words, and I couldn't be more proud of Rebekah today.

After the kids had lunch Rebekah asked to watch "The Little Einsteins" on TV. I was just sitting to eat lunch and it would be a little while before Joshua would go down for a nap, and he really enjoys this show as well. (He could mostly care less for TV, but he enjoys "The Little Einsteins".) So, I obliged. As the previews were showing I sat down with my lunch at the computer and checked my email. A couple minutes later Rebekah came over to me and informed me that The Little Mermaid was on and that we needed to turn it off. On her own without my even noticing the TV Rebekah had taken all our little talks over the last week or so since the big talk we had and put it into practice and did the right thing. (Mind you, it didn't clear up in just one big talk, but we've had smaller discussions about it daily, and I'm also using a princess unit from Homeschool Share's website that Candace wrote and suggested to me to teach about godly character as well.) I was extremely proud that Rebekah had recognized and remembered that Ariel dressed as a mermaid was inappropriate, and instead of feeding her own desires and watching it anyway she came to me to tell me that it was on and we needed to turn it off.

I told her how proud I was of her, and I told her how much that shows how beautiful she is inside for doing the right thing and pleasing the Lord. Again, I don't know how much is sinking in, but she is getting it, and I'm so proud that she really does want to please the Lord. Many times when she does the wrong thing and she apologizes to us and then to the Lord she will ask, "Does that make God happy?" I nearly got emotional with her today. It was just a really proud mommy moment for me, not that I'm doing anything right with her, but that God is making her heart tender for Himself and using me as a vessel to teach her what His Word says.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

Tina said...

That is so sweet to hear! I admit it made me a little teary eyed. :)

Heidi Dombrowski said...

That's wonderful Alicia! Way to go Rebekah!!!

Carrie Poe said...

Oh my! That brought tears to my eyes. It's exciting when you know that you have done the right thing even when it is hard and then it pays off later.