Monday, January 12, 2009

A Teachable Moment

When Darrin brought home a DVD copy of "Ariel's Beginnings" I wasn't too sure about it. I didn't push the issue, though, and Rebekah loves Disney princess. Lately, Rebekah's favorite princess has changed from Cinderella to Ariel, and in the most recent days Rebekah has either not wanted to get dressed after taking off her pajamas or she has stripped down to her panties once we arrived home after being out that day. Just last night Rebekah fought putting on her pajamas for bed, and it was COLD last night!

Darrin and I knew this acting out had to do with the way Ariel is dressed (or not dressed), so we decided the movie as well as the images of the character, such as coloring pages and clothing, would need to be removed from our home. I spent time in prayer last night and this morning as to how I would approach the subject with Rebekah and that she would be receptive to what I had to share.

So, first thing this morning I told Rebekah I had something really important to share with her. She was in a bit of a sour mood, but she enjoys our devotionals and agreed to do one from her book. Yesterday's devotional was about learning to read God's Word, so we reviewed it, and I asked Rebekah who wrote the Bible? Rebekah told me God did, and I read to her what God says in I Timothy 2:9a.

"Likewise, I want women (and I added that this meant girls, too, and made it personal to include Rebekah, all the while Rebekah named a few of her friends) to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly..."

We discussed what this meant and how we are to dress, and I asked Rebekah if she knew of anybody who does not dress how God would have them to dress. She immediately mentioned Ariel. We talked about how that does not please the Lord. We also discussed Jasmine's attire because Rebekah thought that she was okay since she wears clothes, but because her belly button shows she does not dress appropriately either. I talked to Rebekah about how she needs to keep her clothes on at home as well as that we need to get rid of the two princesses who are not dressed modestly. Rebekah had a hard time at first accepting this. She didn't want to get rid of her Ariel DVD especially, and it hurt me a lot to see her heartbroken. I cried with her. But as the day has gone on Rebekah has helped me to discard the images of Ariel as a mermaid (I've allowed the pictures of Ariel dressed modestly to stay) and of Jasmine. I am extremely proud of the way she has handled it, and I think still having some princesses who wear more appropriate clothing to still enjoy has helped a lot.

It seems like parenting is changing all the time as our children grow, but I wouldn't trade these opportunities to share about the Lord for anything. I want Rebekah to desire to please the Lord in her behavior, attitude, and her life, and I hope and pray that these teachable moments will one day draw her to the Lord and give her life over to Him.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds like you handled it beautifully, Alicia!

Love your new look as well!

Carrie Poe said...

Wow! I am so proud of you. I bet that was really hard to do. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie Poe said...

P.S. I LOVE your background! Where did you find your paper? Did you have to buy it? Mine was a freebie.