Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

If you know me very well you know that a big part of me is music. I got my degree in music education with an emphasis in voice and went on to teach elementary music for six years. I also sang in the church choir and on the praise team until I got too sick during my pregnancy with Rebekah to sing. One Sunday morning I even had to get off the stage in the middle of a praise chorus because I was about to get sick. I'll never forget that experience. I'm sure the congregation was worried because many were probably unaware I was expecting at the time. So I took a leave of absence while I was pregnant (I was sick nearly the entire pregnancy) and rejoined when Rebekah was 14 months and had weaned from nursing. Six months later we found out we were pregnant with Joshua, and it wasn't long before the "morning" sickness had returned, so I resigned from the choir yet again. Two and a half years later I'm finally getting back into the choir. I've teased Darrin that the last time I rejoined the choir we got pregnant again. He just rolled his eyes at me.

For a while I didn't have a burning desire to sing in our church choir again, but lately I've really missed singing, and it will be good to get my voice back into shape. Last night was my first time rehearsing with the choir again. Our choir is like a family, and I was welcomed back with open arms. It was a blessing to be there, and it was wonderful to be singing again.

Todd Gaither is now serving as our interim music director and praise/worship leader since we are without a minister of music. He has the whole package! He has the training from a choral perspective which our church choir has needed for a long time. Now, I have loved the men who have served in the past, and our most recent music pastor had such a pastor's heart and a music degree, but it took a man with a choral background to pull out the choir's full potential. I have not heard the choir sound so good since Todd came to direct.

In addition to singing in the choir again I will be helping out with "Kids of the Kingdom" at our church. I will be leading the preschoolers in praise and worship on Sunday mornings one week each month. It should be a lot of fun, and it will be a great opportunity to teach the children about singing to the Lord.

One day I may get back to singing on the praise team, but for now this is a time for me to wean back into the music field, use my talents for the Lord, and help lead in praise and worship while my voice gets back into shape. I'm looking forward to what the Lord has in store!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Tina said...

I'm glad you are back in the choir and I know it won't be long till you will be singing solos again! I always thought it was strange to not see you up there! I just wish I could be a part of that choir again. It's just not the same anywhere else.

Carrie Poe said...

Good for you. I always thought it surprising that you waited so long to get back into choir since you love music so much. I really missed it after Taylor was born. I hope not to be out too long when Katelyn comes along. You will love working with the kids. I have found that when I started working with the kids I loved it more than I ever thought I would. It is so rewarding to see your "babies" up there singing to the Lord.