Saturday, January 31, 2009

It Keeps Getting Worse

When I took Joshua to see the allergist last week I knew Joshua was coming down with his sister's cold. Well, sure enough that evening he had a low-grade fever, just like Rebekah. The difference was that Rebekah got over her fever within 24 hours, and Joshua was still suffering off and on after 48 hours. So to the pediatrician's office we went. We were not able to see our regular pediatrician because it was on Saturday. Sure enough, Joshua got another double ear infection! So, here we go again with another round of antibiotics. I'm certain this is NOT due to a milk allergy because it is from a cold.

We were scheduled to have the oral test for penicillin allergy this week, but since Joshua is on an antibiotic right now we have to wait a week after he's off the medication to do the test. In the meantime, we are just working through this most recent ear infection.

The other day I was playing with Joshua while Rebekah was at preschool and I noticed when Joshua was laughing that his cheeks inside his mouth were swollen. I called in to the pediatrician's office, and since Dr. Rodger's is out of the office on Thursdays we got an appointment with Dr. Meredith. I hated that the appointment was scheduled for the evening, but at least it gave Joshua time to get a nap before we had to go. It just made for a late supper for our family.

As much as I like the other doctors in the group I really want Joshua seen by his pediatrician. I feel like we need some consistency, and I hate that Joshua is yet on more antibiotics. Dr. Meredith checked Joshua's ears, and they are better but still not well. Joshua was only half-way through the medicine, so I hope his ears clear up by the time he finishes the course. Apparently, due to the antibiotic (either this one or the combination of so many in a short time) Joshua has developed thrush. I always thought this was an infant problem, but it's common in young children too. Since Joshua is still nursing occasionally I got a prescription to use as well.

I so hate that we are dealing with this, but I know that things could be much worse. At this point, though, I'm ready to take Joshua to the ENT (ear, nose, and throat specialist) to have him get tubes. I just want my baby to have relief and to be healthy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Candy said...

I hope poor Joshua gets relief soon! I must admit that as soon as I read about this newest EI, I thought of an ENT. Hugs to you all!