Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Historical Day

I've been reflecting today over the uniqueness of today as Barack Obama became the President of the United States of America the day after we recognized the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr. Although we still have a long way to go, we have come a long way to elect a man to lead our country who is an African-American. Who would have imagined that our country would be ready for this so soon? But, we have.

Although I disagree with much of Obama's ideas and am praying for him and hoping he will govern more from the middle than the far-left, I am proud of our country for tearing down walls and seeking to fight against racism. Today was a day to not focus on Democrat vs. Republican nor liberal vs. conservative, but to come together as a country and unite as Americans for such an historical day.

Because I was out all morning I missed the Inauguration. I didn't think to record it ahead of time, so I hope I can find recordings of the event because today marks a very historic moment for our country. I was sad to see former President and Mrs. George W. Bush leave the White House, board the plane, and take off, but it is also time for a new era. God is in control, and He has raised up Obama for such a time as this. I didn't agree with all of Bush's policies, but I admire him for his faithfulness to do what was right, particularly on moral issues among others. I was pleased to see such warmth between the former and new presidents and their wives as they hugged and said their good-byes. It was a proud moment for me as an American to see two of our nation's leaders who disagree on issues to put their politics aside and leave us with such a scene.

I will continue to pray for Obama. He has a great task ahead over the next four years. It has been amazing to me to see the enthusiasm he has inspired, and I hope that he will not only reach out to all peoples, but that he will seek to do what is right first and foremost.

This past week was Sanctity of Human Life Week. What an awesome time to remember the unborn and to call on people to pray that Obama will recognize these children as human life and to fight for them. He has promised to sign the Freedom of Choice Act which would eliminate restrictions on abortions all over the country. I pray he has a change of heart and will not sign this bill that would make abortions even easier to be made. Each child is made special and unique by our Creator and is life.

Candace shared this video on her blog, and I thought it was so appropriate at this time. Be sure to scroll down and turn off the music before you watch the video.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: