Friday, March 12, 2010

The Waiting Game

Please excuse any typos...I have a monitor on my finger keeping track of my heart rate.

Yesterday morning I woke around 4:00 with contractions. I couldn't sleep, although the contractions were not regular. I had a hunch our baby boy could arrive that day, but I wasn't sure. Darrin decided to take off work for the rest of the week, and we got up and ready in case we needed to head to the hospital. Contractions reduced significantly, so we just waited it out throughout the day.

I had a pedicure scheduled, and I really wanted to get my toes done before having to go to the hospital. When I got out of the shower Darrin asked me if I was nervous. I told him that I just really wanted to get my pedi in before Micah's birth. We had a good laugh about that.

As the day went on I had some more contractions, although they were pretty sporadic. They calmed down overnight, although I had to get up in the night due to discomfort and pain.

This morning I was having a fair amount of pressure and some pain along with sporadic contractions. Sometimes I'd have them 5 minutes apart and later it would be 30 minutes before I had another one. Darrin and I felt it would be best to go see the doctor to be checked. Dr. Harnsberger found me to be 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. He believed I would go into labor tonight. We had the option of waiting it out and having another doctor deliver our baby or being induced. We really wanted Dr. H. to deliver Micah, plus with the rainy weather Darrin didn't want to risk having to fight traffic and all. My parents were already picking up the kids from preschool, and we were already prepared to go straight to the hospital. Darrin and I prayed about it, and we decided to go on to be induced.

Since then we were able to eat lunch, and I have been prepped for delivery. Contractions have increased on their own, although I have not progressed any, so they have started pitocin to help things along. My epidural has kicked in as well, so I'm not feeling much pain at all during contractions, and they are continuing to feel more like pressure than anything.

So now we just wait on Dr. H to break my water and for our precious baby boy to arrive. We are looking forward to meeting our new son soon.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You'd better get ready to change your blog title and header! :)
Praying for you, Micah and Darrin through the next few hours. Hugs to you!!

becky bell said...

Good luck! You all will be in my prayers! Hope you have a easy delivery!