OK, so I need to update my header, but that is the last thing on my mind right now. It's more about sleep and life with a newborn.
We've had a couple of check-ups in the last week or so. Joshua's 3-year check-up was just a few days before Micah's birth. Joshua is 33 lbs. and 38 inches. He is really gaining on big sister who is about 38 lbs. and 44 inches. His build is just rock solid, so he often feels heavier to carry than Rebekah. Joshua had his blood drawn for a CBC (white blood cell count) test as well as a RAST test to determine if he was still allergic to casein, the protein in milk which gave us suspicion for causing his chronic ear infections. Darrin received a call Friday while at the hospital that the test returned negative, so Joshua is no longer allergic to dairy! We are so thrilled! We have decided to reintroduce dairy gradually as if it is a new food for a baby to make sure there is no allergic reaction, so he's not drinking straight milk yet, but he's enjoying all these foods like mac and cheese. Praise the Lord for that report! I am so excited to get to prepare and eat casseroles again!
Micah had his first office visit with the pediatrician yesterday. When we left the hospital he had lost 6 oz. which is right at around 5% of his original birth weight. He has already gained two of those lost ounces back, so he's well on his way to returning to his birth weight. Micah is nursing really well, and my milk has come in which seems to be lasting him a little longer than the colostrum did.
Some of you have been praying for the kids as they adjust to having a new baby brother. I had told you how concerned I was, particularly about Joshua taking to his little brother and dealing with jealousy. Things have gone much more smoothly than I could have dreamed. Rebekah doesn't want to hold Micah as much as I thought she would, however, she loves taking care of him! She is already a little mother hen, and she prides in the opportunity to watch him for a couple of minutes while Darrin and I tend to other things. She has already determined and learned that she can give Micah a paci if he starts to cry. Micah has fallen in love with the hospital paci, and Rebekah will put her thumb or finger inside it and hold it in his mouth to soothe him.
Likewise, Joshua is all about his baby brother! He loves to hold him or just look at him. Every morning when he gets out of bed he has to go see Micah. He is totally in love with his brother; it is so precious! Joshua has had a few meltdowns which could be related to Micah, but overall, I've been really pleased with how Joshua has taken to him.
Now, I just hope all this love and the kids have for Micah does not wear off! I'm concerned Rebekah will tire of helping out with him, but I'll take what I can get for now. Hopefully it will last a good while.
Here are a few pics of our last full day at the hospital, going home (well, visiting the kids at my parents' first), and spending time together as a family at home.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Check-ups and Life with Three
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Sweet! I am glad that things are going so well. Love you guys! Give hugs and kisses to the kids for us.
Post a Comment