Every year as long as I can remember our church has held a Father/Daughter banquet. When I was in the sixth grade I remember Daddy taking my sister and me, and we had a Polaroid photo taken as a momento which my mom displayed on the piano for several years. Over time they changed the age of the banquet to include junior high and high school daughters as well.
Last year Rebekah got to attend the banquet for the first time since she was barely old enough at four years of age. By the time she finished her meal and the speaker was done Rebekah was tired and ready to go home. She didn't even want to stay for game time. She was pretty young/immature for such an event, mostly just wanting to get out of her chair to visit with her friends, but she continued to talk about it all throughout the year. It was so cute to hear her talking about the "Father/Daughter Bank".
This year we knew she was much more ready for the banquet since she had matured, and she had been looking forward to it. The girls and their dads can either dress to match the theme (last year it was a luau and this year it was cowboy/cowgirl) or they can dress up fancy. Rebekah chose to dress up both years, and this year I let her help choose her dress. I even had a friend who makes bows for a living to custom make a bow to match Rebekah's dress. We were all set....until she got sick that morning. She woke up so sick it was evident there was no way she would get to attend the banquet. Thankfully she never vomited anymore that day, but she did not feel well all morning, and although she was much better by afternoon she was weak and definitely not well enough to leave the house.
Darrin decided to postpone his date with Rebekah when she was feeling better and still have a night out with his little princess. So Thursday evening they went out. Rebekah got to wear her dress for the occasion, and Darrin dressed up nicely, complete with the tie that Rebekah and I had bought special to sort of coordinate with her dress. When Darrin arrived home from work he showed up with a bouquet of flowers for his little date. Then they went to Red Robin for dinner and then to Gigi's cupcakes for dessert. Rebekah decided to bring the cupcakes home so Joshua and I could enjoy one with them. Darrin also took Rebekah to Wal-Mart to pick up a movie, and Rebekah chose "Mickey and the Beanstalk".

I believe this will be a day that Rebekah talks about for a long time. It was an evening she will not soon forget.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Father/Daughter Date
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
What a fun, special night! Those memories will last with her for a very long time. It's so nice that Darrin takes his time and effort to make her feel special!
This is what makes me want a girl! I just want to see Jim do this with a daughter. It's hard to imagine him doing that but I think he would. So sweet! I love Rebekah's dress and bow! :)
So sweet! Lover her dress and bow!
Post a Comment