Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What a Day!

...and on my birthday, no doubt!

This morning Joshua had an appointment to see his physical therapist, Mrs. Amanda, one last time in order to graduate from PT. I had planned to head out early to get my blood work done for my thyroid, but there was no way we could get out the door an extra hour early, so I decided to put it off until after lunch. Well, don't you know everything seemed to happen this morning while we got ready. Joshua grabs everything off the table these days, and the taller he gets and the longer his arms grow the more he is able to reach. Well, don't you know he got a hold of Rebekah's cup of juice off the table and spilled the rest of its contents onto the floor, but not after squeezing his yogurt cup all over himself at breakfast and then refusing to eat. Then, of course, it was like pulling teeth to get Rebekah to put her shoes and socks on to leave, and she wouldn't let me fix her hair. Boy, have mornings been a battle lately with her! Yesterday she made herself late for preschool because she wouldn't put her shoes and socks on. Life can be challenging in our household at times. I'm guessing this is normal, but it sure makes me feel better to hear that other kids struggle with this also. Please tell me I'm not alone!

So, we finally got out the door and Rebekah to my mom's then off to Joshua's last PT appointment. Amanda passed him with flying colors. She saw him running up and down the hallway as we were waiting for her. During his check-up she watched to see how he stepped over objects and to see how his walking and running was going. She noticed that he walks on his toes some for balance, but it's not so much that she is worried about it. It is just something to watch for and to make sure it doesn't become a habit that will have to be broken later.

After lunch at my mom's I headed over to my endo's office to have my blood work done to check my thyroid. There I saw one of the office staff, Carolyn, who is just the nicest lady! She's always so friendly, and I was glad to see her this afternoon. She thinks I look like I've lost weight since my last appointment and told me that I can get the results of my lab work either tomorrow or by Friday morning for sure. In a way I'd like it to be my thyroid just so that I can take a little pill and feel better, but in a way I don't want it to be my thyroid because that means my body isn't functioning properly. I may just be doing too much and not getting enough sleep, but at least I'll have some answers very soon.

This afternoon we got home, and although I had promised Rebekah we would make a gingerbread house this afternoon it just didn't happen. The kitchen floor was dirty and needed mopping anyway, but after the stickiness all over the floor from Joshua's spill it had to be done. I didn't even finish mopping when Joshua woke from his nap (a short nap, no less), so we're going to make the house tomorrow. I just felt so worn out by this afternoon. I was so glad to see Darrin when he got home (and with roses, I might add)! I about lost it, though. I've just been stressed today from all that needs to be done at home and the fatigue I've had. I don't have the energy to keep the house clean like I need it. Oh, a housekeeper would have been a great birthday present today!

Although the day was rough I had a really nice evening. We all went out to dinner with my parents to Provino's Italian Restaurant. It is one of my favorite places to eat, especially for a romantic dinner. They also give you a free meal on your birthday with ID. We had an unusually long wait for our meal, but we're not sure if it was because they were busy or if the food my parents ordered was unique and required more time. Provino's is usually busy, though, so it may have been the food. Joshua got particularly antsy, and after 3 rolls I nearly got him out of his high chair to stretch his legs when the food arrived. Here are a few pics at the restaurant.

Rebekah sits with her Granddaddy as we wait for our table


Me and my sweet boy


Joshua and Granddaddy


Rebekah wanted to sit between my parents at the table


Darrin and I rarely get our pic made together, especially just the two of us.


What a precious face!


Snuggle-face with Grandmommy


We finally got our food, and mmmmm! was it good! Joshua was so hungry, even after 3 garlic rolls, that he kept fussing for another bite of lasagna. And to my surprise, after getting a free meal I also got a free dish of ice cream with a cookie and a candle. I let Rebekah help me blow out the candle. (The girl LOVES birthdays!)


After dinner we went to my parents' to open gifts. My mom made me an apple pie - thanks, Momma! - but we didn't eat any because we were so full from dinner. My dad's birthday is exactly a week before mine, so we gave him our gift to him and I opened my gifts.

I got a sewing basket and kit and some cash from my parents, and Darrin and the kids got me a new camera. Now, I have a nice DSLR for most things which I LOVE, but I got this little camera, a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS to throw in the diaper bag or my purse when I don't want to lug my Rebel around.

We are now home, the kids are in bed, and Darrin's hitting the sack as well. I think I'll go join him. It's been a big day!

Hearth Signature

3 comments:

Tina said...

Sorry your day was so hectic but I'm glad you had a nice dinner for your birthday!

LeeAnne said...

Happy belated birthday!! I'm glad it ended well after such a frustrating start! Your new camera looks like a good one!

(OK, funny story ... as I opened your blog, "Feliz Navidad" started playing. Before the vocals even started, Maggie said excitedly, "Mommy! Feliz Nobbinod!" I think I've been playing too much Christmas music, LOL!)

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! Yesterday was my MILs birthday too. :)