Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sick and Tired

What a yucky day to be out, but that's exactly where we were. On my way to drop Rebekah off at preschool I decided to call the pediatrician's office to have Joshua seen. He has been waking after an hour during his nap, slept in again this morning until 8:15, and he messed with one ear as we were heading out the door. I couldn't get an appointment that didn't conflict with either picking up Rebekah from preschool or Joshua's nap, so I just showed up at the doctor's office and asked them to work Joshua in. Thankfully, Dr. Carroll was willing to see Joshua. (Our regular pediatrician, Dr. Rodgers, is off on Thursdays.)

Joshua has another double ear infection, and since we didn't have a follow-up last month after his previous ear infection Dr. Carroll said he is not certain that it is not the same one. In a couple of weeks I am going to take Joshua to see Dr. Rodgers for a follow-up and discuss with her the possibility of having tubes put in his ears. Tubes may not be the most pleasant, but it's better than getting repeated ear infections and being on an antibiotic all the time. I've had tubes recently, and I think they are wonderful for preventing ear problems.

Joshua is not the only one feeling poorly. Lately I have been intending to call my endocrynologist to find out when I'm due for a follow-up appointment. I know it's been a year since I last saw her, and I'm pretty sure it's time to make another visit. My weight has been on the low side, although I'm not losing weight. People come up to me occasionally and ask if I'm eating. Well, yes, but sometimes not as good as I should because it's hard to make time to eat due to caring for the kids. People don't think that making comments about being underweight hurt, I guess because being overweight is much more prevalent and a concern for people, and many can relate to this problem. But comments about how thin I am do hurt. I don't want to look like I'm all skin and bones! So, while I'm not losing weight I can't gain any either.

I've also noticed lately that I'm really tired by lunchtime. I don't have the stamina to do much housework by the afternoon when I finally have the time to do it during Joshua's nap, and my patience is running thin with Rebekah. All she wants is help and a playmate, but I don't have the energy. So I've made a call to see my endocrynologist to have my bloodwork checked and to see how my thyroid is doing. Amazingly, my thyroid was in great shape all during my pregnancy with Joshua and for several months post-partum, but Graves is one of those things that can kick back into gear after having been in remission. Once I get that little white pill in my system I hope to be feeling a lot better.

Hearth Signature

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I totally think that tubes are the best things for little ears that stay infected!!! I hope that you are feeling better!!!

LeeAnne said...

What a blah kind of day! I hope everyone is feeling a little better today ... Mommy included!