
Today (Christmas Eve) Rebekah and I spent some time making candy and baking a birthday cake for Jesus. We have been reading the Christmas story nearly every night this month and we've been discussing what Christmas is about. Last year I started doing a few simple Advent activities and had planned to do more this year, but the season slipped up on me so quickly. I think having a shorter time span between Thanksgiving and Christmas has been part of that. I haven't decorated as much this year, and it's hard for me to believe that it is already Christmas. To me it still seems like it should be a couple weeks away.
Anyway, despite the fact that I haven't done as much with Rebekah and taken time to really plan activities surrounding the holiday I have devoted time with her to discuss Christmas and the birth of Christ. In our house we do not celebrate Santa. I've always felt that I was not being completely truthful if I led my children to believe in Santa, although I can understand the idea of it only being fantasy. Rebekah and I have talked about Santa being a character similar to Cinderella, that he is pretend, and I've introduced her to Saint Nicholas, although I don't think that she has made the connection yet. Despite the discussions we have had Rebekah has asked for the past couple of nights if Santa was coming because her Grandy told her he was. I think she is confused now. We will see what happens in the morning, but she has this idea that Santa is bringing her presents. Hopefully she will forget about him once she sees the gifts from us.
Without further ado, here are some pictures from our fun today.
Birthday cake for Jesus (minus the candles)
The first layer is chocolate. The brown represents our sin. The second layer is red for the blood of Christ that covers our sin. The third layer is green for the life that we have in Christ. The white icing represents that He washes us white as snow. The star of David in the center represents that Jesus came from the lineage of David. The cake is round because Christ came to Earth. The hearts around the sides are believers all around the world who love God. A red candle will go in the middle of the cake for Jesus, and a candle for each person present at the birthday party for Jesus will be lit on the cake as well.
Here are the kids' big gifts. Other than their pj's which they opened tonight to wear to bed as well as their stockings these are their only gifts from us.
For Rebekah
For Joshua
I can't wait to see their faces in the morning!
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Merry Christmas 2008!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I absolutely LOVE the Birthday cake for Jesus. What a great idea and concept. I had never seen that and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I just want to say Alicia, you are an amazing person...an amazing friend...an amazing wife...an amazing mother, daughter, and sister! Love you my friend!
Post a Comment