Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Update on Rebekah

Yesterday after talking with a nurse about Rebekah's symptoms - low-grade fever, sore throat and hoarseness, tummy pain, some malaise, a little runny nose and beginnings of a dry cough, possible dehydration, and loss of appetite - we determined to take Rebekah in to see the pediatrician. Rebekah's doctor was booked, so we saw another one in the office.

The first thing the nurse had us do was go down to the lab for a strep culture. As we approached the lab we saw Rebekah's pediatrician and I told her why Rebekah was there. It was nice seeing her even though she didn't get to examine Rebekah, but the other doctor we saw was very nice and handled Rebekah really well.

The first strep test came back negative. After the exam the doctor said that Rebekah's throat is red and does not look like strep, but the other symptoms she has are the same as strep, so he wouldn't have been surprised if it had come back positive. They are also running another strep test which takes 24-36 hours, but he believes it is probably a virus, and by the time the results for the second test come back Rebekah should be feeling better.

Rebekah's temperature has continued to stay low-grade. She is very low-key, laying around a lot. I am trying to keep her hydrated as well as to get her to eat a little although her appetite is not very great. Hopefully she will be well enough to return to preschool on Thursday. In the meantime, she is getting lots of rest.

The only nice thing about this is that Rebekah is soooooo well-behaved! She is such an angel! She has been especially good to Joshua and has not acted up one bit. I'm sure she doesn't even have the energy to bug her brother. I just hate to see her feel so bad, though.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Rebekah starts to feel better soon. It sure is hard to see your child sick, but on the other hand you get to snuggle with them and love on them! ;) I will check back in to see how she is doing.