Right before Joshua's first birthday he was evaluated by Early Intervention. They found that he was behind in self-adaptive skills in his eating because he was only eating stage 2 baby food (pureed food) and was not taking to a sippy cup much. Since then he has mastered the sippy cup and we also had a complete feeding evaluation on him a month ago. After little progress other than the fact that he does eat meltable/dissolvable foods the feeding therapist has decided to start Feeding Therapy weekly. We have yet to start, but today he made huge progress!
While I was getting some lunch together I pulled out a cracker for Joshua to munch. When he finished it he took one bite of his baby food and swatted at it. I pulled out some Gerber veggie crackers thinking that might be a little healthier than regular white crackers. He ate several, but still fought eating the baby food. I managed to get a 2nd bite in him, but I gave up after more swatting at the spoon. I could tell that he really wanted to eat with his hands. I gave him some cheese of which he ate a little then began tossing it on the floor. I searched the kitchen for something soft he could try. I decided to cut up some banana in small pieces.
Months before Joshua would just gag on banana even mashed up. But today he gobbled it down! He ate about 1/3 of a banana! I am so excited! We'll have to try some more table food. I am so eager to try some other foods now that he's not gagging. Maybe we won't need the feeding therapy after all.
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Joshua's Eating Real Table Food!!!
Labels:
eating,
feeding therapy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
That's fantastic! I know how concerned you were about his feeding abilities, so this must be a big relief! YEAH!
Go Joshua! That's great news Alicia. Love you blog! I hope Rebekah is feeling better...we can't seem to stay clear of illnesses here for more than about 2 weeks...
Post a Comment