Friday, May 22, 2009

Moments Like These

It seems like sibling rivalry has been huge lately, but the last couple of days the kids have been getting along so much better. Now, they still have their spats, but I have been looking for moments when Rebekah treats Joshua really nicely and making a huge deal of it, and she is improving. We've also been working a lot through those difficult moments and she is learning how she should act when she wants something that belongs to her that Joshua has. She is really doing much better about asking him nicely, and today it paid off. Joshua usually just looks at Rebekah when she asks him nicely for something, and after a few moments he is glad to give in to her request. He really does want to share with her and play with her; he just doesn't want her to take it away from him. It's neat to see how much he really looks up to his big sis. He follows her and imitates her actions - sometimes to the point that it drives her nuts - but Rebekah really doesn't realize how much he does look up to her.

This morning while I was taking a shower I heard the two of them giggling. I peeked out the shower curtain to find them holding hands and dancing. Then after lunch Rebekah was drawing, writing, and coloring at the kitchen table, and Joshua came right up to her for some love and attention. It was so sweet how the two of them connected. I grabbed the camera and took some pics. I'm hoping to see more moments like this between the two of them.




Rebekah spent a great deal of the day writing, drawing, and coloring. She must have used 20 sheets of paper front and back just today! I am glad to say that she didn't watch any TV yesterday and very little today. I unintentionally kept the TV off yesterday and realized late in the day that it hadn't been on all day. While Rebekah and I were out last night Joshua did watch a little TV, and they watched a little tonight while I prepared dinner and a little after dinner, but that was the extent of it. I am going to try to limit the television more. I really like it this way! Maybe that is part of the reason the kids are being kinder to one another.

Anyway, Rebekah had a blast with the markers today! Good thing they are washable because Rebekah COLORED HERSELF!


This picture doesn't even show everything. The soles of her feet and palms of her hands were covered in various colors. By the way, she is pretending the markers are a wind instrument (or what she would call a flute).

And what was one of the things she created today?


Notice the sideways heart. I'm thinking this may be Rebekah's first real crush. She used to say she was going to marry her best friend Brock from preschool last year. This year she has talked about Ben being her best friend and that she is going to marry him. Granted, their seats were next to one another all year, but their personalities seem to mesh well also. It's cute, but I also don't want to make too much a deal out of it either and encourage Rebekah. I'm sure Ben will be a longtime friend, though, since his family attends the same church as we do.

Earlier I mentioned that Joshua really watches Rebekah and imitates her. Well, he is right behind his Daddy too. Every time Darrin is working on something mechanical Joshua is closely watching him. Darrin's mower has been having problems, and when he has been tinkering with it trying to discover the problem and correct it Joshua has been checking it all out. He wanted to be outside the whole time while Darrin mowed the yard this evening, but he also wanted to keep some distance. He is so curious but cautious. Once Darrin finished the front yard he turned off the blades and gave Joshua a little ride. I had to grab my camera for this one! Joshua immediately took a ride, but he wasn't too sure during the ride. I'm sure it won't be long before he's helping his dad, though.


This weekend we are heading to south Georgia to visit my sister Carrie and her family. I finally get to meet my new niece Katelyn! Rebekah is really looking forward to the visit as well. It will be fun for the kids to play together as well as for us adults to have some time to spend with one another. I'm sure I'll be taking lots of pictures, so I'll try to post from there. Until then, wishing you a fun Memorial Day weekend!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: