Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Week of Firsts

Many new and exciting things have taken place in the past week. And when you have small children there is a first for everything, especially for a newborn. Micah's umbilical cord came off last week, and he got his first bath in the baby tub on Saturday. It wasn't his favorite thing, but he's becoming more used to them. He had to because he got quite a few due to blow-out diapers and spitting up on himself over the next couple of days.




Sunday was also Micah's first Easter. We were told before leaving the hospital that viruses were still pretty bad going around and to keep him home for the first four weeks. I really wanted to take Micah to church on Easter, and while on the phone with a nurse regarding Joshua's health (by the way, he had a double ear infection this past week) I asked her about taking Micah to church. She told me no, so I heeded that advice. Darrin also did not feel comfortable about taking Micah to church either. My parents graciously offered for us to meet my mom at church between the two services so she could take him to their house and we could attend church as a family. It worked out great! After church we went to my parents' house for Easter lunch and egg hunting.




We had the most beautiful Easter weather we have had in years! It was absolutely gorgeous!

Among other firsts are Micah's first smile and laugh. He smiled at Darrin yesterday and later at me. He has not done it since, so I've not gotten it on camera yet, but rest assured that as soon as I can capture it I will post it! This evening Darrin was holding Micah and as he slept in his Daddy's arms he giggled in his sleep. It was too cute!

Now Micah was not the only child who experienced a first. Joshua did as well, but it wasn't a good first. He lied for the first time. Well, if you don't count the times that he tells you that he does not have a dirty diaper when he does. Joshua was holding something that he had taken out of the dishwasher. When Darrin, who knew Joshua was holding it, asked him if he had it Joshua said "no" and immediately dropped it on the floor. Oh, it is hard to see your children be deliberately deceptive!

But I can't end on a bad note. Joshua got to dye Easter eggs for the first time. Well, he ended up breaking more eggs than coloring them. He didn't want to use the dipper, and if we put an egg in the dye for him he would reach in with his hand and pull it out. Rebekah, on the other hand, was a pro at dying the eggs since this was her third year at it. After the eggs dried Rebekah put stickers on the eggs while Joshua rolled some around on the table pretending they were cars, complete with "brrrrrrrrrrmmmmm" sounds, or he would knock them on the table only to crack the shell. Oh, well. At least we made some memories.




Speaking of Easter fun, the kids had their Resurrection parties at preschool last Wednesday. Darrin kept Micah so that I could attend the parties, and since they were at the same time I went back and forth between the two classrooms.

Rebekah's class did a craft making a Fruit Loops butterfly (that was eaten by the end of the day) followed by lunch.





Joshua's class had lunch first and then made a craft. I totally missed him making his craft, though, because I wasn't expecting the class to make anything.





Boy, has it been a busy week! And things are definitely not slowing down any! For now, the rest will be left for another post.


No comments: