It's hard for me to believe that Joshua is starting preschool this year and that Rebekah is in pre-K 5. Yesterday we attended orientation at the school to meet their new teachers, for the kids to meet some new friends, and for the parents to become acquainted with the expectations of the school and the upcoming year. Since both our children are attending preschool this year Darrin and I split up to take them to their respective classes and then met back for the parent orientation.
Darrin took Rebekah to her class, and he said she immediately connected with a girl in her class. They introduced themselves to each other and went off to play. All of Rebekah's church friends who are attending the same school are going on Tuesdays and Thursdays while Rebekah and Joshua will attend on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I was sad when I discovered this, but I think she will really enjoy her class. I have heard wonderful things about Mrs. Becca her teacher, and I believe it will be a great year.
While Darrin took Rebekah to her class I took Joshua to his. He is in a pre-K 2 class, and some church friends of ours has a little girl in Joshua's class as well. I was impressed with Joshua's teacher Mrs. Bridget as well. She seems really sweet and able to relate well to the children.
Following the parent orientation we went to pick up Rebekah from her class. Mrs. Becca told me that Rebekah asked her all about her family among other things and that they got along really well. I think Rebekah is going to really love this class and her teacher and have a great year!
We then went to pick up Joshua from his class. I had a good discussion with Mrs. Bridget about plans for this year and his milk allergy. Before we left I wanted to get a picture of Joshua with his teacher. At first he didn't want her to hold him and she fussed and tried to scoot out of her lap. She got him to calm down and told him to say, "Monkey!" He did, and then he smiled! You can see his eyes are a little watery from fussing, but at least he smiled pleasantly. I told Mrs. Bridget that he must have a good teacher to get him to cooperate like that.
I believe this is going to be a great year for both the kids. I got really good vibes from their teachers, and I think they will get a good education, they will mature and grow, and they will learn much about God's Word.
In addition to Rebekah attending preschool I am homeschooling her. I attended the Homeschool Curriculum Fair about a month ago to learn more about the different curricula available, and I spent a great deal of time attending workshops. I discovered that the philosophy I want to use for teaching is most inline with the Charlotte Mason approach, which is about teaching the whole mind, incorporating the arts, doing nature studies, engaging the child in learning, instilling variety (doing something written, then something visual, then going outside, etc.), and keeping lessons brief to keep the child's attention. If you have ever seen "Anne of Green Gables" this approach seems to be illustrated in Miss Stacie's teaching style. Presently, I am using Math-U-See (which uses manipulatives for building the problem to discover the answer, writing, and speaking) and Explode the Code for phonics and handwriting. I would like to incorporate music and art as well as nature walks and such as I can fit them in our day.
I believe we have a great year ahead, and I'm really looking forward to my second trimester when I have a burst of energy. We are still unsure how we will balance things after the baby arrives. I truly believe the Lord will make things work if it is His will for me to homeschool full time next year.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
The Beginning of a New Pre-School Year
Labels:
homeschooling,
orientation,
pictures,
preschool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Yesterday was Tyler's orientation, also. Good luck this year I hope the kiddos have fun!!
liz
Post a Comment