February 16, 1925 – March 11, 2009
Grandma went Home this morning at the ripe age of 84. As I have been thinking about Grandma I’ve been reflecting on the wonderful memories I had with her.
Grandma always loved trees and flowers. Something was always blooming or growing in her garden. She planted a mixture of perennials and annuals and would pick some to bring in the house for the kitchen table. She planted a variety of vegetables as well and was proud to show off her garden. She knew so much about different trees also. I remember as a girl when she and Grandpa came to visit Grandma and I went for a walk around the neighborhood and she told me about the various trees we would see.
As young girls Carrie and I would visit Grandma and Grandpa during the summer for a week. Sometimes we spent the week at their house. Grandma always made sure I practiced the piano so I didn’t get rusty after a week. It’s funny how I remember things like that. But one of the fun memories I have is that she and Grandpa went square dancing every week. Grandma made their dancing outfits, and they looked fabulous on them! Carrie and I got to tag along with them while they went square dancing. What fun it was to watch them on the dance floor!
When we didn’t stay at their house for the week Grandma and Grandpa took us camping. I have many fond memories of camping not only with just them but with our entire extended family. We used to go every fall as a family, and I always loved being together enjoying each other’s company.
Other memories I have of Grandma are National Geographic Magazine, knitting, cross-word puzzles, playing games, the butterfly garden, and lots of love. Grandma was such an intelligent woman, and she was always learning. She kept her mind active while she could, and she loved teaching me too. She made delicious spaghetti, canned peaches, and applesauce. I had told her that before she died I wanted her to teach me how to make applesauce, but it never happened. Grandma also made some of the best apple pie. It was always a favorite staple in the Taylor family.
One thing I’ve struggled with is where Grandma stood in her relationship with the Lord. Some of her theology was not biblically accurate, and she was not one to talk much about her faith. One time when I visited her I directly asked her about her salvation, and she told me about her experience. While she suffered with fibromyalgia she had written down and underlined some Bible verses that ministered to her. I have to believe that she sought the Lord in her pain and that she was a child of God. And one day I hope to see her in Heaven.
Grandma, I miss you so much! I’m so thankful for the fond memories I have of you. You’ll always have a special place in my heart.
P.S. You can read Carrie's post here.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Grandma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Alicia, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I hope God will pour His comfort on you and your family during these next few days. What a nice post with such beautiful memories!
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I pray that you will find comfort and peace in this time of loss. Thanks for sharing some memories of your grandma with us!
I'm so sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in the memories you will forever hold in your heart of your time with her.
Post a Comment