Sunday, February 8, 2009

More Snow Fun

Rebekah and I continued our snow unit for The Snowy Day this past week.

Wednesday I made some white play dough for Rebekah to pretend that it was snow. We made a snowman with it too.


Thursday the kids went “sledding” on a blanket. What fun that was for both of them!



Friday we read the book again and discussed some more of the story. We then read through a poem “White Fields” by James Stephens several times while identifying and writing sight words. Rebekah wrote a word, and then we read through the poem to find the word and Rebekah circled it. Each time we went through the poem she read the sight words, adding a new word in each reading.

Next I read The Snowy Day again and Rebekah acted out what Peter did in the story. She also used props to make snow out of crunched up paper, and we stuffed them in a pillowcase to make a snowman. Rebekah also organized the sequence cards in order using the book to guide her.

By this time Rebekah was ready for some messy fun! She played in shaving cream on the kitchen table, and we added some Little People for her to play with in the “snow”.


While I prepared lunch she colored and cut out a snowflake, and after lunch she did some ice cube painting. I froze a popsicle stick into an ice cube. I sprinkled some unsweetened Kook-Aid mix onto some white paper, and Rebekah rubbed the ice cube over top to create designs. I actually had thought Joshua might want to try these activities, but he didn’t like getting his fingers messy in the shaving cream, and he wasn’t interested in making an ice cube painting.

I also got a few books at the library that I read to Rebekah to go along with our snow unit:
Tracks in the Snow by Wong Herbert Yee
Mouse’s First Snow by Lauren Thompson
Snow is Falling by Franklyn M. Brandley
Snow by Manya Stojic

Throughout the weekend Rebekah colored and cut out her snowflakes to finish her lapbook. I was really amazed at how well she could cut! She got tired of it after a while, so I finished the cutting and let her paste them, but I really couldn’t get over how well she cut some of her snowflakes.

Lapbook cover


Inside - Rebekah cut out these snowflakes predominantly herself



Poem and sight words


Back of lapbook - I mostly cut out these snowflakes. I think she was tired of cutting by this point.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: