Can it be that our baby is already two years old?!?!
On Tuesday, February 20 I had a regularly scheduled OB appointment at 35 weeks, 4 days. I had been having some swelling in my feet and ankles, and most recently the swelling had moved up my legs to half-way up my thighs. I also had variable high blood pressure. When I went in for my appointment it was the highest it had ever been. I discussed these issues with my OB Dr. Brody. He was sure at this point that I had pre-eclampsia.
After looking at me he said, "It looks like we are going to have a February 20 baby." I thought for a second and said, "Wait! That's today!" I was sure that he was teasing because Dr. Brody has a dry sense of humor. He told me no, but I wasn't convinced. His nurse was smirking. I looked at her and said, "He's kidding, isn't he?" She told me no. I knew at that point he was for real.
After a moment I lost it. We were not prepared to have a baby that day. We still had things at home to do, and I had yet to pack my bags. I had hoped to make it until early March at least. I was scheduled to have maternity pictures, and I really wanted to make it to 38 weeks. Joshua was not due until March 23.
Dr. Brody explained to me the importance of getting the baby out, and that he was safer outside of me than inside. Following my appointment he immediately sent me to the hospital. Fortunately, Rebekah was at my mom's, so I knew she was well taken care of. I called Darrin on the way out and he left his half-eaten lunch to meet me at the hospital.
After we arrived and I was settled in my gown Dr. Brody came by and explained the process of induction. I encouraged Darrin to go home and pack his bag and get the digital and video cameras. I could get through the first part of labor better without him than later. Dr. Brody later came and broke my water, and the contractions began.
I was moved to another room where I would labor for a while. In the meantime, my mom had taken Rebekah home and she packed Joshua's and my bags. Darrin grabbed the things from home he needed and purchased a baby book for Joshua since we did not have one yet. Darrin arrived at the hospital about 25-30 minutes before the anesthesioligist arrived to give me my epidural. Before my epidural they turned off my pitocin, but after I received the epi, they decided to turn it on a very low setting. While I labored the nurse and Dr. Brody watched Joshua's and my heartbeats. I dilated from 2.5cm to 4cm during this time. It seemed that Joshua did best when I laid on my left side, but after some time he struggled through the labor. He was under some stress, so they lowered the epi in half.
I did not progress anymore, and Dr. Brody began to show concern over Joshua as his heartbeat peaks grew closer and closer. His heartbeat was still going, but it was looking closer to flatlining. Dr. Brody then decided it was necessary to do a C-section. I was so disappointed in this, and I cried over it, but we had to do what was necessary. Joshua was in a great deal of stress with each contraction and he was not improving. Darrin reminded me over and over that I was doing this for Joshua.
Everything seemed to happen very quickly after this. People came in and got to work. My epidural was increased to provide more numbness, and I was prepped for the surgery. I did not even get a quiet moment with Darrin before it all started. But, even though they moved quickly, it was a calm C-section, and the staff was able to do things without rushing through it.
During the surgery I hated the feeling of my legs being so numb that I could not even move them. I also felt like I couldn't breathe. One of the doctors encouraged me to hold my hand over my mouth so that I could feel myself breathe, thus telling my brain that I am breathing. This helped relax me a good bit, but I was still scared.
Shortly later I could hear my son crying. They showed him to me, cleaned him up, weighed him, and wrapped him up. I wanted to hold my baby so bad! I finally got to see him closer and kiss him. Once I was stitched up Darrin held him next to me and we were readied for recovery.
Although Joshua was born 4 1/2 weeks early he received a 9, 9 on the APGAR scale. He was so healthy! NICU was ready to take him if needed, but Joshua was just fine. He weighed 6 lbs., 1 oz. and was 18 1/2 inches long. At a month early he was larger than his sister when she was born only 3 days early!
We were so grateful to the Lord for our healthy baby and for the miracle that he was. He was truly a miracle in our eyes. So many things could have gone wrong, but God protected him, and he's a beautiful, healthy little boy.
In the past couple of years Joshua has overcome low muscle tone causing him to hit his gross motor milestone late, but he finally walked at 18 months and is doing wonderfully.
He is a little social guy as long as it is on his terms. If people approach him who he does not know well or at all he will play shy, but if people generally leave him alone many times he will approach them, talk to them, play with them, and even ask for them to pick him up! It is really cute to watch, but it scares me a little too. Joshua is just a big flirt! The ladies love it for sure! He's been known to give little girls kisses as well. What a loveable little guy! His kisses to me sure make my day!
Newborn
Age 1

Age 2
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOSHUA!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!
Friday, February 20, 2009
Happy 2nd Birthday, Joshua!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Happy birthday to Joshua! I can't believe he's two already! I remember the day he was born -- we were all so shocked that you were "going" so early! :) He was and is a cutie and in many ways still looks like himself, even in those first newborn pictures. Hope your sweet boy has a great day!
Happy Birthday Joshua! Wow, where has 2 years gone already. I hope he has a great day today! Give him love from all the Bells!
Post a Comment