Monday, June 15, 2009

Dollywood Day 1

If you have read my blog for very long or if you know me very well then you know that we visit the Smoky Mountains fairly frequently, at least once every year, and sometimes more. We usually visit in the fall when the colors have changed, but this year we decided to come when we could enjoy the outdoor amusement parks. We visited Dollywood today and will revisit tomorrow. We are planning to go to Dollywood's Splash Country this week as well. Rebekah has been hesitant in the pool lately (which I don't understand at all since she just had swim lessons for two weeks), and we are unsure if she would like Splash Country now, so we'll wait and see.

We decided to rent a cabin in Pigeon Forge instead of Townsend this time since we would be spending so much time in this area. We like the cabin quite well, and we have a beautiful view, plus the parks are not very far away. The only thing we don't like is having neighbors right next door who sound like they are on the other side of the wall at times. Not that they are being particularly loud, but at 11:00 last night we could hear them since our bedroom is just outside their cabin. The cabins are only a few feet apart, and we prefer the privacy we had in Townsend. However, it has been a really good trip so far.

We began our day by heading out around 10:00 this morning for Dollywood. By the time we got inside the park it was already 10:45. We are definitely going to get an earlier start tomorrow! As we started to walk through the park we saw Strawberry Shortcake.


The first ride we took was the Dollywood Express to take a tour of the park. This was Darrin's favorite ride.



They took our picture before boarding the train, and the photo was really good, but we didn't want to spend the money. You could buy a package, but all we were really interested in was a 4x6 which was going to cost $10 alone. It ended up our lunch was way overpriced too. I guess that is part of vacation and amusement parks, but it is highway robbery! When the cashier told me the price I had to ask her to repeat it just to be sure I had heard correctly. Yes, nearly $40 for two burger meals and two kids meals! HELLO!

Anyway, we hit the carousel after the train. Although it's a nice carousel, I have just found none other that matches up to the one at Coolidge Park. Its animals were handcrafted and handpainted, and they are just beautiful! Still, a carousel is a fun ride no matter what, and we enjoyed it.




By this time we were ready for lunch then we hit the theater to see a performance of "The Little Engine That Could". I think this was probably my favorite part of the day. Both the kids were showing fatigue by now because it was 1:00. It wasn't excessively hot out, but it was warm, and it was getting close to Joshua's naptime. The kids really enjoyed the show, though. Joshua was pretty fidgety before the show began, but as soon as the music started he settled down. The kids never showed great excitement due to fatigue, but they were glued to the stage the whole time, so I know they really liked the show. Flash photography was not allowed, so the pics I took were blurry. I had my little point-and-shoot camera, so I was not able to play with the settings much, or if I can I haven't learned how yet. Anyway, here are some pics from the performance.






"I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could."


Finale


Posing with "the funniest toy clown you ever saw" and a "doll with blonde hair and blue eyes".


After the show we hit the kiddie rides. Rebekah immediately wanted to ride the "Lucky Ducky".


Rebekah has a pretty smile here.


Next they rode "Busy Bees". This was Joshua's favorite. He wanted to ride it again, but we wanted to try to hit other rides first.


I was actually surprised Joshua liked it as much as he did.


The kids then rode "Piggy Parade".



At this point we were going to head back to the cabin so Joshua could take a nap, but Rebekah really wanted to ride the VeggieTales miniature roller coaster. Darrin stayed back with Joshua while I took Rebekah. Rebekah says this was her favorite part/ride of the day.

Here I am turned to face Darrin, but Rebekah wouldn't turn around again for a picture.


I'm surprised Darrin got any pics at all since this is not an easy ride to capture.


Joshua fell asleep on the way back to the cabin, but he did take a nap this afternoon. We were all going to go to the pool this evening, but we decided Joshua just needed to rest. Darrin took Rebekah for a short dip in the pool. I was really surprised they close at 7:30, especially since it is still daylight, but Darrin said Rebekah just didn't want to venture out into the pool anyway. I'm baffled as to why she is like this, especially after having had swim lessons for the past two weeks.

We are definitely tired after such a big day, but we're looking forward to some more fun this week!

By the way, you may have noticed that I have never posted pics while on vacation before. That is because Darrin bought me a new laptop as an early Anniversary gift! All so that I can stay on top of my blog, post photos, and keep in touch with everyone through email and Facebook. Isn't that so sweet?!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

LeeAnne said...

Ah, yes, the joys of overpriced amusement park food. :) Oh well, I try to just grin and bear it and remember that it's all part of making great family memories! I love the pictures -- I didn't realize they had shows to correspond with a few of the Imagination Library story books. We're looking forward to "Llama Llama, Red Pajama," as it remains one of Maggie's favorites! I hope Rebekah gets over her water issues before Splash Country -- it's a really fun park!

Candy said...

It looks like you all are having a great time! And kudos to Darrin on the great anniversary gift! Happy early anniversary!