Saturday, June 21, 2008

Anniversary Getaway

Darrin and I just got back from celebrating our anniversary. Monday, June 23 marks seven years since we were wed. Darrin is heading out Monday morning on business to Phoenix, so we celebrated a little early this year. Last night we went to our favorite B&B Whitestone Inn. It is located in Kingston, TN, about an hour and a half from our house, but not too far from Knoxville either. This was our 8th time visiting the Inn and our 5th time in the Hummingbird Suite.

Whitestone is Christian owned and the name is based on the Scripture from Revelation 2:17, "To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth." Paul and Jean Cowell are the owners. While we have never met Jean, Paul has been such a gracious host. In the past he took care of some problems we experienced, and he made sure that did not happen again. He always remembers us when we visit and makes a point to speak to each of his guests. Paul and Jean have a special ministry to pastors, ministers, and missionaries in that he discounts their rooms when they stay during the week. Being a pastor himself he gives sermons on Sunday mornings in the chapel there on the grounds and does weddings as well.

Upon arrival Friday afternoon we checked in and were greeted with homemade cookies, then I received a one-hour full body massage from Donna. It was so relaxing! What a great way to kick off the weekend! Darrin unloaded our luggage into the room while I got my massage. The massage therapy room was located just off from the entertainment lounge in the basement of the farmhouse, and the Humminbird Suite was off to the side from the lounge as well, and as I entered the door of our suite soft music filled the room and I found a bouquet of roses from Darrin on the chest of drawers!

From our room we had a beautiful view of the grounds, Watts Bar Lake, a small pond, the Lion and the Lamb building, and the chapel. Everything was just gorgeous!

After a shower we enjoyed a delicious and elegant 4-course gourmet dinner while overlooking the grounds from all the windows on the back of the farmhouse. For entertainment we listened to music played by a guitar and violin duo. It was lovely. For dinner we started with a flaky pastry with brie cheese inside and a strawberry sauce around it as an appetizer. Next was a spring mix salad then bread sticks flavored with garlic and other seasonings. The main dish was a choice of chicken, tuna, or steak. Darrin and I had the steak, called tournedos. It was topped with some sort of cheese I had never heard of. The sides were seasoned carrots and some sort of fried patty of a potato mixture that was delicious. For dessert Darrin had the Whitestone pie and I had chocolate cheesecake. Everything was so yummy! It was so nice to have an hour and a half or so to enjoy a delicious meal and to not be interrupted by a 3-year-old who wants to talk to us non-stop or to deal with a 16-month-old who needs us to meet his every need.

After dinner Darrin and I took a little walk on the grounds in the cool air. Yes, it was actually cool! I guess since it's in the mountains some it's cooler than at home, plus it had drizzled just a little while we ate dinner. It was really nice for a walk yesterday evening. We then returned to our room for the night.

This morning it was cloudy, but it was very pleasant out. And you know what? I didn't have anyone pulling on me for attention while I got ready. Darrin and I woke up so refreshed. The only negative thing was that I had the urge to nurse Joshua because I felt so full. Other than that I could have stayed at Whitestone all day! We enjoyed a delicious spread for breakfast - scrambled eggs (some with ham and cheese and some plain), waffles, bacon, ham, biscuits and gravy, and there was also cereal, muffins, and pastries.

After nearly 24 hours away from home Darrin and I felt ready to come back home to see the kids. Rebekah was so ecstatic to see us, and Joshua woke from a nap when we arrived home. Thank goodness he nursed right away! The kids have been hanging on us both this afternoon. They missed us and we did them, but it was so nice to have a kid-free night away to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Candy said...

It sounds so beautiful and relaxing. I'm so glad that you were both able to get away, rest up and relax a bit!